RAD READING – November

This month I read a book called Prodigy by Marie Lu. In this book there are two characters and the book alternates their perspectives. The Republic has control of the western part of the USA and the Colonies are fighting the Republic from the East Coast. The republic has divided their civilization into sectors. The first character, Day was previously living in a poor sector but after he escaped his execution with June he is on the run from the Republic. The other character, June is a former Republic girl. She betrayed the Republic and helped Day escape after uncovering that the Republic engineered the Plague and she also discovers that they killed he brother. June and Day are looking for the Patriots rebels possibly supported by the Colonies. After the Elector (the Republic leader) dies the Republic is in chaos. How will the book finish?

I spent a lot of free time reading this book. The amount of tough decisions that are in the book make it really epic. I definitely recommend this book. My favorite character in this book is Anden because he is reliable. On pg. 181 the text states, “‘I’m going to change the Republic, and I’m going to start by releasing Day’s brother.’” This quote is when Anden tells June that he is going to make the Republic a better place. This shows that Anden isn’t concerned about the Republic being powerful like his father, he wants the Republic to be a good place.

My favorite quote from the book is “‘But the new Elector is … Not. Your. Enemy!’” (345) This quote is meaningful to me because it shows Day, who previously disliked the Republic, knows Anden is a good leader and he is loyal to him. This quote occurs when Day speaks to the people of the Republic about their enemy.

One thought on “RAD READING – November